As I write this article I have just returned from my annual fishing trip to northern Manitoba. My longtime friend and hunting and fishing partner Tim Mulhollen reminded that this was our 20th year fishing out of the same outpost. Twenty years of memories, fishing stories and most of all, friendships. Over the years we have taken close to 100 people to enjoy the magnificent Canadian North. Shortly after I returned, I was notified that I had been appointed by the Executive Committee to Chair the Record Book and World Hunting Awards Committee. I am extremely honored and proud to accept that appointment!
The SCI Record Book is for each of us who participate in it, SCI’s historical legacy. We can all document a lifetime of hunting. I encourage all members to participate in both the Record Book and World Hunting Awards programs.
The Record Book Committee is a solid group of experienced hunters with varied thinking that allows us to vet all issues that come before us. The continent Sub-Chairs review and approve around 4,000 entries per year and we will hit our 200,000th entry next year. We are definitely a busy committee and I commend our Sub Chairs for their dedication. Our professional staff is led by Gabe Paz. Gabe retired from the Arizona Game and Fish Department a few years ago and brings a strong hunting background to SCI.
At the end of this article is a listing of the members of the committee and their assignments. Please contact Gabe or a member of his staff with any questions that you may have.
I remind our members, measurers and outfitters that: The Record Book Committee officially approves the score and ranking of each entry. At no time should a score be considered or advertised as an SCI official score until it has been officially ranked in the SCI Online Record Book.
Get out and enjoy some hunting and fishing this summer, make some memories and friendships that will last a lifetime!
2019-2020 Record Book Committee:
- Jeffrey Meyerl – Record Book Committee Chairman
- Mark Hampton - RB Vice Chairmen – Asia Subchair – Handgun Consultant
- Deb Cunningham – World Hunting Award Vice Chair
- Ricardo Longoria – Vice Chair Alternative Methods/ Major awards
- Brian Welker – Africa Co-Subchair
- Dennis Schemmel - Africa Co-Subchair
- Donald Larsson – Europe Subchair
- Greg Murtland – North America Subchair
- Herb Atkinson – NA Estate Subchair - North America Consultant
- Gary Rose – NA Introduced Subchair
- Britany Longoria – South America Subchair
- Mike Christianson - South Pacific Subchair
- Chuck Bazzy – Africa Consultant
- Tom Miranda – Archery Consultant
- Mike Crawford – EC Liaison
- James Derr PhD - International Research Consultant
- Jim Shockey – Muzzleloader Consultant
- Chris Muller – Record Book Quality Assurance Consultant
- Record Book Staff:
- Gabriel Paz – Director of Record Book and World Hunting Awards
- Alejandra Ortega – World Hunting Award Coordinator and RB Administrative Assistant
- Gilbert Aguilar – Measuring Coordinator
Please feel free to reach out to the Record Book Department at 1-800-997-0177 so they may assist you with all of your Record Book or World Hunting Award questions or goals.