An SCI Chapter is formed by like-minded individuals who are interested in promoting the mission of SCI on a local level. It is unlike any other hunting, shooting or animal-specific group out there. It is not a "fundraising committee" for the national organization whereby funds are raised locally and then sent to headquarters for them to spend!
A chapter is a separate, legal, tax-exempt group that raises money under the name of Safari Club International and then directs the disbursement of funds as the chapter chooses.
An SCI Chapter...
- Must have 25 charter members who are also SCI members in good standing to form, and maintain at least 25 members.
- Must file for and receive a separate EIN from the IRS (U.S. Chapters only) and apply for 501C4 tax exempt status under SCI’s master exemption.
- Must have an elected Board of Directors with officers including president, vice president, secretary, treasurer and a Chapter liaison or contact person (which may be one of the officers).
- Must have a set of bylaws for the operation of the Chapter, which at a minimum must mirror SCI’s bylaws. Chapters are encouraged to add bylaws that help them govern their own Chapters expeditiously. Included in this is a mission statement declaring what the Chapter will focus on.
- Must hold a minimum of one fundraising event each year.
- Must submit to SCI 30 percent of the net proceeds from their largest fundraising event each year. If more than one event is held, only one 30 percent contribution is required. A minimum dollar amount is required based on the number of years the chapter has been in operation. All moneys raised above the 30 percent are to be used by the Chapter as they direct in fulfilling the mission of the Chapter.
- Must fund a minimum of three (3) Chapter projects each year in the areas of education, humanitarian services or conservation. Again, these are typically done on a local level, thereby keeping the money raised in the local community.
- Must submit a Chapter Annual Report each year.
- Must file IRS form 990, 990N or 990EZ each year with the IRS and copy SCI on it.
To receive documents or more information for starting an SCI Chapter, contact: Michael Roqueni, Director of Membership Development, at (520) 954-3258 or firstname.lastname@example.org.