Safari Club International encourages all sportsmen and women to engage in the planning process to make sure the Tonto National Forest stays open to hunting and shooting. The current plan for the Forest dates back to 1985.
The U.S. Forest Service is revising its management plan for the Tonto National Forest, which is east and north of Phoenix, Arizona.
People enjoy high-quality hunting, fishing and wildlife viewing in the Tonto NF. The NF is home to nine of the 10 big game species in that area, including black bear, bighorn sheep, elk, javelina, turkey, mountain lion, pronghorn, mule deer and white-tailed deer. Seven of the nine small game species have abundant habitat in the NF. The NF also offers opportunities to hunt waterfowl, predators and furbearers.
The proposed new plan can be found here. The U.S. Forest Service has scheduled public meetings to share information and receive public comments. Sportsmen and women can participate in the public meetings and help shape the future of the forest’s management.
Comments are most useful if received by Dec. 21, 2017 and can be submitted in the following ways:
- By Email: email@example.com;
- By mail to: Tonto National Forest, Tonto Plan Revision, 2324 E. McDowell Rd. Phoenix 85006; and
- Plan to provide your comments in person by attending one of the upcoming public meetings.
Meeting dates, times and locations are:
- Wednesday, Nov. 8, from 5 – 7 p.m. (Cave Creek)
Desert Foothills Library, 38443 North Schoolhouse Road, Cave Creek
- Monday, Nov. 13, from 5 – 7 p.m. (Roosevelt)
Tonto Basin Ranger District Office - Roosevelt Lake Visitor Center, 28097 AZ-188, Roosevelt
- Tuesday, Nov. 14, from 5 – 7 p.m. (Payson)
Payson High School, 301 South McLane, Payson
- Wednesday, Nov. 15, from 2 – 4 p.m. (Young)
Pleasant Valley Community Center, Highway 288, Young
- Thursday, Nov. 16, from 5 – 7 p.m. (Globe/Miami)
Bullion Plaza Cultural Center, 150 North Plaza Circle, Miami
- Monday, Nov. 20, from 5 – 7 p.m. (Superior)
Superior Junior/Senior High School, 100 W Mary Dr., Superior
- Tuesday, Nov. 21, from 5 – 7 p.m. (Phoenix)
24th Street Conference Center, 1841 N 24th St #10, Phoenix
More information about the management plan and the meetings is available at www.tontoplan.org. Those with additional questions are encouraged to contact the Tonto National Forest via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.